Tuesday, February 2, 2010

cilantro lime chicken, rice, and black beans

which is in my mind the perfect combo. this is my friend Heather's recipe which she postedon our ward cooking blog. but here it is so you don't have to click and open another window.

1/2-1 whole onion (chopped however you like..extra fine in this house)
2 tsp oil (i use olive)
sautee onions for a few minutes
add 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp tumeric (in spice isle); sautee for a min.

Add 1 cup of rice, sautee for 2 mins.

Add 2 cups water and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-18mins ( i check after 8 mins or so and give a stir or 2)

1 costco sized can of chicken, shred. Add 1 tsp oil, 2 T lemon or lime juice and a handful of cilantro (rough chopped)

Open can of beans, drain and rinse.

Once rice mixture has cooked down add beans, 2 T of lemon or lime juice and handful of cilantro. Cover for 5mins.
Add chicken.

My kids eat it without tortillas but the adults eat this with the uncooked tortillas from Costco. Heat them in a pan with a dash of oil. Dry on papertowels. YUM.

**NOTES**

Ok, so we really liked this recipe but the chicken tasted a little too "canned" for me. I think the key to fixing this is to drain and rinse the canned chicken or used cooked shredded chicken. ALSO, next time I will let the chicken marinate in the lime juice/cilantro/olive oil from the very start and let it sit like that hwile i assemble everything else. I also had no tumeric, so I used my "go-to" mexican food seasoning, Sazon Goya with Culantro y Achiote. Yummy.

We ate this on lightly fried corn tortillas, but I reheated it plan with a little dollop of sour cream on top. This is a great busy weeknight meal which makes plenty for leftovers the next day.

1 comment:

  1. I think something that also can help with the "canned" taste is to soak the chicken in milk for a few minutes, then drain it well. Loved the Chicken and Chokes, btw.

    ReplyDelete